I thought “I can make those!” So I did.
What you need:
- Fabric paint (I bought white, black, and blue)
- Paint brushes
- Exacto knife
- Iron off pen
- Sewing machine
- Pillow inserts (optional)
- I purchased 16×16 pillow inserts. I use inserts because I can’t for the life of me make a non-lumpy pillow. Plus, pillow cases are easier to wash. So, I cut 17×17 pieces of white cotton fabric.
- I designed the silhouettes and the words on the computer. My friend has two Brittany spaniel mixes so I searched for pictures of that breed then, after I printed the silhouettes, I modified them to match.
- I cut out the silhouette and the letters. This was the most tedious part.
- Next, with my iron off pen (these are amazing!! You can write all over your fabric then heat makes it disappear) I traced the letters and dog on to my fabric.
- Paint in the letters. I made the pronounciation a lighter color by mixing the blue and white.
- I let it dry then I ironed the fabric with a handkerchief over the paint and the steam setting off. The iron heat removed the pen marks, set the paint, and actually puffed the paint up just a little.
- I then created the back for the cases. I ran out of white fabric so I used a light blue. I cut two pieces of blue. One about 14×17 inches the other about 7×17. I hemmed one edge with a 1/4 inch seam then laid them out. Right sides together I put the 14 inch down first then the 7 inch and pinned them. I sewed everything together with a 1/2 seam.
- Insert the pillow forms and voila!
I am really happy with how they came out. My biggest complaint is that the black paint had some variations after I ironed everything. I’m not sure if it was a mistake on my part or just how the paint sets. It’s not horribly noticeable but something to keep in mind. Thank you for reading!!